2014年11月25日 星期二

Joy of an Austere Lifestyle


Before my retirement, shopping had been an infrequent pastime for me because of my tight work schedule. Now, despite abundant time at my disposal, I shop even less often. In fact, I shop only when necessary. Not being a wage earner anymore is only a minor reason. What discourages me from shopping lavishly is the realization of the seriousness of the waste disposal problem resulting from unnecessary purchases.
 

The problem first made it felt one morning when a cold breeze set me off sneezing and I opened the wardrobe to get a cardigan. I was struck by the sight of the hanging clothes pressed tightly together as to leave no breathing space at all … well, if clothes could breathe. I had searched for quite some time before finding the cardigan I was looking for. What crossed my mind at that moment was how I could reorganize the garments before the wardrobe fell into pieces. But to sort all those clothes out would be as much an impossible mission as to clear the data stored in my PC and my mobile. I decided to start doing something, somehow, someday.
 

There were actually more clothes than I would need for another ten or more years. Some had been hanging there unnoticed. But my one regret was that I had outgrown quite a few and that would mean a lot to dispose of. To ease the problem, I came up with an idea: while discarding or handing out some of the ill-fitting clothes, I would make good use of those still presentable. And I even embarked on what I considered a very challenging feat, namely, to reduce my size by dieting.
 

Now two months has passed and I can proudly announce that most of the clothes are the right size for me. And I delight particularly in the mix-and-match, adding glamour to what used to be mediocre attire. That is the kind of fun I was deprived of in those days when dressing up before work was done in a rush and when there was a dress code for teachers to abide by. Exploring for ‘new’ discoveries in the wardrobe is no less fun than browsing the showcases of the boutiques.
 

Of course, the greatest satisfaction is my success in weight loss. Cutting down on fat and sugar consumption has led to more desirable blood pressure. My arm injury has also recovered gradually as a result of exercising every day.
 

It’s only now in my retirement life that I have finally learned to appreciate the joy of a healthy and austere lifestyle.

 

4 則留言:

  1. health and austerity is hard living in an urban environment...

    回覆刪除
  2. That's why I've got to learn. By the way, you've been doing very well, Teacher, making progress in your daily jogging.

    回覆刪除