2020年6月11日 星期四

Have I got an investment plan?






A friend has recently expressed her regret for not having made good investments at a stage of life early enough to ensure a well-provided old age. This has provoked some thinking on my part. Having retired for a few years already, do I consider myself adequately provided for? Have I had a good investment plan?

Honestly speaking, where financial investment is concerned, I am a total failure. I do not remember enjoying affluent living at any stage of my life. In my youthful days, the average income was only high enough to make ends meet and investment was not a widely accepted concept. Instead, saving in the bank every coin earned seemed to be the usual practice. My only attempt at investment, if any, was in the form of contribution towards a provident fund under the guidance of the school where I worked. Understandably, the amount of cash loss due to inflation over time is immeasurable. I have come to realize only in recent years that the lack of versatility can be a cause of failure in wealth management while a well-devised investment plan will probably lead to a worry-free retirement. 

Nevertheless, I believe that investment is not necessarily limited to financial pursuit. In fact, there are other far more worthy things into which we can put our time and effort, and for which rewards can come in different forms. Frankly, I can claim to have had my retirement bountifully blessed because, without my awareness initially, I have invested my time and effort in a few important issues.

For one thing, I am grateful for my good health. This has been due to my healthy habits, which have led to a fulfilling life-style since my young age. I, therefore, recommend investment in our health as a top priority and I often advise young people to adopt regular bedtime and mealtime routines. 

Besides, knowledge and skills are worth investing time in. Wholesome hobbies such as reading, drawing and playing the piano will end up being our good companions in our old age. Long after we have forgotten the textbook knowledge, we still derive great joy from a book we read, a painting we draw or a piece of music we play. This is in fact what keeps my retirement immensely enriched these days.

Moreover, long lasting friendships are a blessing in our old age. Nothing is better than having a few friends who are always there when you need a listener to your old stories. Old friends, too, can understand better your worries about an aching backbone or a rebellious grandchild. And this is all because you yourself had been a loyal listener, too, back in those good old days. 

Indeed, I have not benefited the least from a good financial plan. But I am grateful that my time and effort has been well invested.

沒有留言:

張貼留言