2014年7月30日 星期三

Let's get out of the chair



 

When we are getting ready for an event, the first and forthmost thing is to prepare enough chairs. Inadequate seating arrangement can spark complaint. A comfortable chair is an indispensable item in an office room as it is believed to enhance work efficiency. Likewise, after a hectic day, one desires nothing more than a leisure hour in the embrace of a cosy armchair, preferably graced with the massage function. In fact, the chair has become just as much a necessity as our clothing. However, despite all the comfort a chair can afford, over dependence on it can be harmful. And it is important to rid ourselves of the disease called chair addiction before it causes more harm. 

From a recent article entitled ‘Sitting is killing you’ in Reader's Digest, I have learned about an office which has undergone a ‘chair-free revolution’ and where the staff have all got used to the chair-escape program. The office is circled by a walking track, leaving enough space for ping-pong tables. The few chairs that are found are ‘architectural accents rather than dominant furnishing’. Seminars are organized to advise the staff on healthy living and walk-talk meetings are held to get them out of their chairs.
 
The program has reaped encouraging results. The office atmosphere is now more lively and ecstatic, with the office staff happily exchanging success stories of weight loss and health gain. Their more enthusiastic work contributions have also led to the company’s financial growth.
 
I have had a personal experience of a situation where the non-provision of chairs served a very good purpose. I was invited to attend a reception in celebration of a national event. Held in the Grand Ballroom of a posh hotel, the feast was glamorous with fabulous food, luxurious decorations and a performing live band. But one thing that struck me as unusual was that there were round pedestal dining tables, each of the right height for four or five guests standing around it, which also meant that chairs were not needed. I was at first put off by the idea of having to stand while eating. But I later realized that the whole setting was to encourage more socializing among the guests. I was approached by guests I met for the first time and soon found myself conversing freely with most of those present. If we had been sedentary, we could have gone home with hardly any memory of one another. 

So there is one more thing we can add to the list of health hazards. Its’ time we pulled ourselves out of the chair more often.



 

4 則留言:

  1. A reception without chair, I can manage. However, working without an office chair or walking on a treadmill ..... I definitely cannot function that way.

    回覆刪除
    回覆
    1. I don't think I can get adapted to a chair free work environment either. What i'm trying to do is to keep standing most of the time while watching TV.

      刪除
  2. I have been invited to quite a number of cocktail parties by my Caucasian friends. What strikes me as unusual is that chairs are not provided. Guests usually walk around chatting away with glasses in their hands. I was told that this a way of "mingling around" which is what cocktail parties are supposed to be.

    Yes, chairs are functional fixtures that provide comfort for the body, particularly the bottoms. However, I always try not to nest myself too comfortably in couches while I do my reading because more often than not, my eyelids would become so heavy that I find myself in slumberland in no time.

    回覆刪除
    回覆
    1. I, too, tend to doze off over my reading but I don't find this annoying as I welcome any prevention from insomnia. However, I try to avoid being a couch potato by keeping my hands moving. This is actually killing two birds with one stone as I need frequent hand movements to hasten the recovery of an injured arm.

      刪除