2014年6月27日 星期五

A 'tooth' extracted

For someone with a sweet tooth, to abstain from sweet food is next to an impossibility. Until the recent months, that was exactly how I had felt. I never imagined myself saying no to ice-cream, chocolate puddings, cream cakes and cookies. My friends used to joke about my fondness for sweet things. When the sweet congee was served at the end of a Chinese banquet, I was often offered one or two extra bowls, which I accepted with delight. At a buffet, no savory food could beat the desserts for a place in my heart. At a supermarket, the shopping basket was occupied mainly by packaged juice, muffins, wafers and, of course, my beloved chocolates.

But thanks to an ex-student, I have had the sweet tooth ‘extracted’. What has she done? Well, she simply set an example too good to ignore.

I had not met her for quite a while. Then when we happened to cross paths a couple of months ago, I was surprised to find her two sizes smaller. She told me she had given up sweet food. Though half convinced, I decided that there was no harm in having a try. And that was how I started my hectic journey towards sugarfreeism.

Now I can, with a certain amount of pride, report some success. For breakfast, I have oatmeal with corn instead of milk. Crackers have replaced cakes for my afternoon tea. I now walk past a bakery without stopping to stare at the serradura. I will not touch the bowl of sweet congee at a banquet. In brief, I reject all kinds of sweet food.

But what is the sacrifice for, you may ask. Honestly, slimming is what I’ve been trying to achieve. I’ve heard about females losing control over their weight because of a change of lifestyle after retirement. I will not let this happen to me. Even if I fail to lose weight, at least, I must prevent a constant weight gain. This is not only for the sake of a better shape. My knee pain from long years’ standing could worsen if I do nothing to reduce my weight.

Persistence pays. To my delight, I have lost a few pounds. Though the physical difference is hardly noticeable, I feel my health improving. Besides, I take pride in my success in overcoming food temptation. And, definitely I rejoice over the loss of the ‘sweet tooth’.


6 則留言:

  1. 身體有點小毛病,提醒我們健康的重要。祝身體健康!

    回覆刪除
  2. 年紀大了,不免有多多少少的毛病,我的膝患暫時不算嚴重,但為了悪化,不得不減磅,故要向心愛的甜品說不。

    回覆刪除
  3. I've been trying to have less sugar too. On top of that, I've been doing serious hiking every weekend. However, I'm gaining weight instead of losing. Probably, it's because my legs are gaining muscle from all the hiking. But I won't give up. I'll keep hiking as, though tough, it's really relaxing and a way to release stress to be in the mountains.

    回覆刪除
  4. I’ve given up long walks for fear of the resultant knee pain. Instead, I go to dancing classes three times a week, with quite encouraging effect.

    回覆刪除
    回覆
    1. I have mild knee pain too. So, I have to wear knee braces when I hike.

      刪除
    2. My knee pain is probably of a different kind. My knees got injured from my long yearsˊ standing while teaching.

      刪除