2017年9月21日 星期四

Stay tuned


(https://www.facebook.com/dsejejd/photos)

Some friends ask me why I have been sharing the videos of teachers posted by the DSEJ. My answer is very simple: they are worth sharing.

Having once been an interviewee myself, I understand very well how much effort has been put into the production of a video of this type. The closing credits showing the list of the crew members involved throws light on the different stages of production. The filming alone may have taken months. Often quite a number of people appear in the film besides the interviewed teacher himself. The scene of the shooting may also vary widely according to the event chosen. Following this are the various post-production processes. In brief, a lot of work is entailed before the final product is ready for broadcasting.


The main attraction, however, is the film itself. Each of the documentary films is dedicated to one particular teacher to be paid tribute to. In the film, the teacher shares freely about himself and about his work. Having once been a teacher myself, I find it interesting to learn about the experiences of other teachers, especially those working on subjects different from my own. It is a great delight to find out how we share the same ideas in our attempts to enhance our students’ academic motivation and, on the other hand, how we differ in our approach when confronted with similar problems. I marvel at one or two creative methods mentioned. Frankly, I would have borrowed them for my own teaching if I had learned about them before my retirement.

From their sharings, I have identified a few concepts that are common among all the interviewed teachers. Almost all have remarked on the need for the teacher to play the role model with his attitude, his expertise and his great sense of integrity. He can then influence his students with his enthusiasm about teaching; if the teacher enjoys teaching, the students will enjoy learning too. Besides, it is essential for the teaching to be coherent with the needs of the students. This can be done by establishing a close teacher-student relationship through frequent contact outside the classroom. It is also emphasized that the teacher should remain persistent in his efforts even in the face of the most difficult problems.

Though a retiree now, I still see this as a great opportunity for teachers, interviewees and viewers alike, to learn from one another's teaching experiences.

Indeed, I am much impressed by the high level of professionalism with which the documentaries are made. A few of this year’s series are scheduled to be broadcast in the coming weeks. Stay tuned!

沒有留言:

張貼留言